Indianapolis Indiana Family Law Blog

How does college affect child support payments?

After a divorce, the non-custodial parent must pay the custodial parent child care payments for a set amount of time. Under Indiana law, the non-custodial parent must continue payments until the child is nineteen years old, is no longer under parental care, joins the military, gets married or dies.

You may be wondering about college. Your child can probably not afford college expenses on their own, and there is a good chance that the custodial parent may not be able to afford college payments on their own either. How will your child pay for their last few years of school if they stop receiving payments at the age of nineteen?


Cindy L. Kenworthy, P.C.
3891 Eagle Creek Parkway
Suite C
Indianapolis, IN 46254

Phone: 317-762-7105
Fax: 317-472-1729
Indianapolis Law Office Map